Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mommy Style

Those of you that know me, would probably never say (and I'm really not fishing for compliments, people) that I have great "style".  I'm ok with this...really. And I am sure that even a few very close friends have dialed "What Not To Wear" on occasion to stage an intervention, only hanging up thinking that may hurt my feelings.  (For that select group...please go ahead with the call...I would LOVE to be on that show. Meeting Stacy and Clinton...getting $5,000 for a new wardrobe...shopping in New York...having someone tell me how to properly do my hair and make up. Really, I would love it!). And trust me, you can definitely get some good "before" footage at some key hangouts I frequent like Kroger where I don't think I know anyone.

Style is not a word I would use to describe me. I know everyone is supposed to have one...but I don't really think that's true. I do think there are a lot of people that have a natural sense of personal style (my sister, Jessica, for example) and what looks right, and those that don't. My favorite magazines, for example, are not Vogue, Lucky, or Elle. Right now, I prefer to spend my Barnes & Noble free magazine reading time perusing Parenting or People.  Does that mean that I am automatically locked into the category of dressing like a....mom???

The word "mommy style" may affect some of you in a positive way when you think about famous celebrity mothers like Jessica Alba, Heidi Klum, or Sarah Jessica Parker.  After popping out children, these celebrity mothers are often hailed as having great "style" while they walk their toddlers to the park or Whole Foods.

    

And the word "mommy style" may also have a negative connotation, such as the infamous SNL skit "Mom Jeans"...enjoy for a bit to refresh your memory...



While I'm thinking about the word "style" and now being a mom...I am really striving to remain somewhere closer on the continuum in the way I dress to the celebrity moms I referenced instead of looking like an extra in the "Mom Jean" skit.  And to some degree, I think I have. I own no pleated or tapered leg pants that I can mention and so far have withheld from any "bulletin board" sweaters (you know, the ones that are knitted and sequined with Halloween themes or Christmas trees on them, depenidng on the season). 

As I am approaching the big 3-0...I am thinking about the way I dress a little more than before. Not that I am by any means spending hours in the bathroom (time I don't have) or getting special manicures, pedicures, or hair treatments (money I don't have). I am just thinking about the way I dress as another way to express that I am happy to be a mother while at the same time I am happy to be me. I don't want people to look at me thinking..."oh, that poor woman. Her child must wear her out" or "eeek...she's turning 30, looks more like 45!". Vain? Perhaps. But I'm choosing to look at it as another way to treat my body with respect.  God gave me this body to do His work...so why not, while taking care of it through eating right, excercising, resting, also dress in a way that I look like I'm proud to be myself instead of looking like I'm lazy and taking it for granted.

However, as I know will happen, there will be some days when I feel that I'm in "style" if I shower that day. :-) Other days, I want to put on that cute, turqoise maternity top, wear my skinny jeans with a belly band, and adorable black flats to the mall play area.  I will not only look more presentable to the rest of the world...but also happy, rested, and more energetic to face the day with the child that does wear me out on occasion :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...