Sunday, August 21, 2011

Summer is winding down...

August. Usually it's a bittersweet month for me. The excitement and dread of returning to work after a summer spent enjoying the sunshine, Lake Michigan, traveling, and time to do what I want. This year not returning to work has truly been a brand new feeling for me. I don't have to spend my weekends at Staples or Office Max hunting the penny deals for school supplies so my students have paper, glue, and pencils. I am not spending 12 hour days fixing up my classroom. My computer searches are not focused on great lesson plans or bulletin board ideas.  And best of all, I am not spending this month, like last year, crying throughout the day knowing that I will have to send my little one to daycare.

Now don't get me wrong...I would not be honest if I didn't say a small part of me is missing work. I do miss some things like my awesome work friends to chat with in the morning, the 20 minute drive in the morning listening to the radio as my only real "alone" time during the day, meeting new students, and teaching...especially writing...to an eager group of learners. However, I know that this year will be one of the most memorable for me because it is so different from any year I have had before. Since the age of 15, I have worked outside of school...and since I have been 5 I have been IN school in some capacity...as a student, student teacher, sub, or full time teacher. And another fact is that I have had Nick with me all this summer to help raise Noah with days here and there when he's gone. I have not truly "jumped" into the new schedule of staying home full time with just Noah...but that will end after this week. Nick returns to work next week so a new routine for all of us will be necessary.

Here are some highlights from August as a wrap up of our summer fun! I think one of the biggest challenges for me this year will be when winter strikes and we won't have the option to just "go outside" when we feel like it...so for now we are enjoying every bit of sunshine and nice weather we can...as well as all the fresh fruit we can get our hands on. :-)


Blueberries...his second favorite fruit (after raspberries).

A visit to the Berrien County Youth Fair...Noah loved petting the animals.

Noah's great-grandparents at the fair with us.
               Petting a baby calf, only a day and half old!

Popsicles!



Enjoying the new slide...compliments of the neighborhood garage sale for $10...holla!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...